Astaldi in €776 million Romanian joint venture

By Thomas Allen07 April 2017

An Astaldi-led consortium has been awarded two new contracts worth €776 million, to carry out work on the Frontieră-Curtici-Simeria railway line in Romania – part of the Pan-European Corridor IV, a transport corridor that runs from Dresden and Nuremberg in Germany to Thessaloniki in Greece, Constanta in Romania and Istanbul in Turkey.

The contract includes lots 2A and 2B, where rehabilitation and stabilisation work will need to be carried out on 80km of railway and 11 stations, along with the European Railway Traffic Management System (ERTMS). A tunnel and 80 bridges will also require building.

Since the two lots are adjacent to one another, Astaldi said there are significant operational synergies and economies of scale to be gained, which will guarantee the optimum performance of the works.

The customer is state-owned Căile Ferate Române (CFR) – Romania’s national railway company – and the works are 75% financed by European funds, with the remaining 25% provided by the state budget. Astaldi’s share in the joint venture is 42%, FCC Construcción hold an equal stake, SC Thales Systems Romania have a 15% share, and Salcef Costruzioni Edili e Ferroviarie have a 1% share.

Work is scheduled to start by the end of the first half of this year and estimated to last for 36 months.

The Astaldi Group has been operating in Romania for more than 20 years, and in that time it has built more than 100km of railways and undergrounds, 250km of roads and motorways and two international airports – Henri Coanda in Bucharest and Avram Iancu in Cluj-Napoca – among other projects.

Delivered directly to your inbox, Construction Europe Newsletter features the pick of the breaking news stories, product launches, show reports and more from KHL's world-class editorial team.
More News from Construction Europe
New Eastern Europe subsidiary for Magni
Based in Warsaw, Poland the new branch will strengthen presence across the region 
Kubota opens new parts centre
€15m warehouse will stock parts for construction, agriculture, groundcare and engines
Heidelberg drops ‘Cement’ from its name
German building materials group has rebranded to highlight commitment to carbon neutrality
Mike Hayes Editor, Construction Europe Tel: +44 (0)1892 786 231 E-mail:
Simon Kelly Sales Manager Tel: +44 (0) 1892 786 223 E-mail: